Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sings My Soul

I deduced that hearty sighs were not enough to lift the grief of sin.
So, ceasing from sighs and wearing my lackluster grin,
I turned my face to the grand, old facade
Poking out of the earth like the spire of a steeple.
I shook my mind and self and thought, "What's with these people?"
Women and purses and cars and kids.
I hear the click of their high-heels on the hot parking lot.

Soul creeping forward, crawling with a tail between my legs,
Slinking over to the awning where the door burst open and a greeting.
They slipped a card of paper in my hand, patted me on the shoulder,
Told me where my rear should land.
The pews like planks on a ship were laid out all within and all without.
To settle and perch with uncertainty, I wilted there on the farthest end.
I shielded myself from faces that would see me alone with no friend.

But when the music played, my heart cracked open.
The bleeding would not stop.
And light illumined all my frame, my eyes -
I could see past weights of sin and sighs.
There was a tree shaped like a T, a man with arms outstretched.
His heart beat there like a red fire and His love did mine inspire.

To die there, to live again,
My deepest places poured out their guile
And wave upon wave rushed in, rushed in -
A river began welling up within.
To sing! My heart, to sing!
The end of the world and of death and of pain!
He came with His love and my heart He claimed.

Blinking, tear-rimmed eyes gawked at the sight of the fading vision.
When gone all that remained were women and purses and children
Who sang rhythmic hymns with noses in hymnals.
And all faded. The preacher stood.
But by then, I knew it all and understood that my salvation was sure and good.
I saw a face turn and wink and smile
And was then beside myself again for quite a while.

"And sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee: how great Thou art,
How great Thou art."

Copyright Samantha Lindholm, May 29, 2012
Experiment with rhyme, rhythm, and story telling in a poem. 

I read my poem for youuuu! Wanna hear? Take a listen.
Sorry if the picture is confusing. It's just there so that I could make this a video. It's an unfinished drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment